Realtor® to Buyers and Sellers in Encino | Sherman Oaks | Studio City | Van Nuys | Tarzana

Selling Agent? Listing Agent? Buyers Agent? Real Estate Agent? Realtor?

questionsThe jargon can get confusing, right? When I say that I’m an Encino Real Estate Agent, or a Sherman Oaks Listing Agent, what does that mean? Is there a difference? More importantly, does it make a difference to you?

Here’s how it breaks down:

Real Estate Agent

If you take the required courses, pass the exams and hold a real estate license, you’re a real estate agent (which I am).  That’s it.  There are lots of us all over the country.

In California (and probably most places), an agent, also known as a real estate sales person, cannot sell homes.  Whaaaa?!?!  Yep – we’re technically just salespeople.  We need a broker’s license to actually facilitate the transaction.  That’s why we agents sign up with a brokerage, such as Rodeo Realty.  Brokerages generally have one or more brokers of record, and all transactions “technically” go through that broker.  If I wanted to, I could get more education, take more tests, pay more fees and become a broker, and then pay a whole lot more money to open my own brokerage and have agents work for me… If I wanted to.

Realtor (R)

Realtors are members of the National Association of Realtors (NAR), which also has state and regional offices.  Technically, I am a member of the NAR, California Association of Realtors (CAR) and Southland Regional Association of Realtors (SRAR).  You’ve probably seen the commercials about choosing a Realtor when you’re looking for someone to sell your home, and you probably always thought that Realtor was a shorter term for Real Estate Agent, much like “fridge” is just short of “refrigerator.”*  Well, you’ve got another think coming!**

Realtors are held to a higher standard, have more training and get penalized for breaking moral and ethical rules.  There’s an actual reason to choose a Realtor!  Choose me!

Listing Agent

This one’s pretty easy — if you’re selling your home, you hire an agent to represent you.  That agent, who will list your home on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) is the listing agent.

Buyers Agent

Again – a pretty simple one.  If you’re looking for a home to buy, you should have someone represent you.  That someone (me!) is the buyer’s agent… I represent you – the buyer.

Selling Agent

We’ve discussed the listing agent and the buyers agent… so what’s left?  The Selling agent is actually the same thing as the buyers agent.  What a crazy world we live in.  While the listing agent is marketing the home, the buyer’s agent is the one showing it to clients and trying to sell them on it.

Which ones is Ben Vorspan?

All of them!  While some agents choose to specialize in either listing or selling, the truth is we all can do everything.  Well, I guess everything except actually sell homes on our own (if you read the part about the broker’s role, you’ll understand). I will gladly represent you as a buyer or seller!  Call me at (310)926-2386 or contact me online to talk about it.

*”fridge” is short for Frigidaire – a brand that sells refrigerators.
** yep – it’s “think”, not “thing”.  As in “If that’s what you think, you have another think coming.”

Thinking of Selling?

Thinking of Buying?