Real Estate Close to Cal State Northridge (CSUN)
Over the past few weeks I’ve heard from a number of clients and fellow Realtors looking for real estate close to Cal State Northridge, aka. CSUN.
What’s not to love about homes near Cal State Northridge? It’s the heart of the San Fernando Valley, with the desirable areas of Chatsworth, Porter Ranch, Granada Hills, Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills and West Hills all within a few miles.
One client asked me to help find a home close to CSUN by defining “close” as within 10 miles. I did a quick search and it turns out 10 miles from CSUN includes the entire San Fernando Valley – from West Hills to Burbank!
If you’re looking for a home near Cal State Northridge, let’s narrow it down a bit:
- Cal State Northridge is located near the corner of Reseda Blvd. and Nordoff St.
- If you would like to appeal to students looking for a house to rent, or you yourself are a CSUN student, you will want to find a house within 1/2 mile of the SOUTHERN section of campus (the northern region of the campus is mostly sports fields and facilities)
- Since weather in this part of the San Fernando Valley can be quite hot during the summer months, walking more than a 1/2 mile can be quite difficult.
- So, let’s narrow our search down to:
- North of Roscoe
- South of Devonshire
- East of Wilbur
- West of Louise
With those boundaries in mind, let’s evaluate your options:
Homes that appeal to Cal State Northridge Student Renters
- College-aged students don’t care about large yards. If your goal is to rent your property out to students, don’t bother buying a single family home – go with a condo or townhome, which won’t need the maintenance and added expenses
- College students typically move every year. Don’t chose a property that will require a great deal of money to turn-over year to year. Look for homes with hardwood floors, for example, which can be easily cleaned, rather than carpets, which might require a professional carpet cleaning between tenants
- Everyone in LA has a car. Look for a property close to CSUN that includes off-street parking.
- College students like to party. Choose a building with many other students so that your tenants’ late-night noise won’t become a problem with permanent residents.
Long-term Homes for non-CSUN Students
Are you buying the home for yourself, or your children who are soon-t0-be CSUN students?
- Perhaps living a few blocks from campus isn’t necessary, if you will be living in this home long after you finish at CSUN. Consider looking in some of the beautiful neighborhoods to the north, including Northridge, Granada Hills, Chatsworth and Porter Ranch. By car, you can generally reach CSUN within 5-10 minutes.
- Look for a single-family home, so that you can grow into it, rather than feeling the need to buy a new home after graduating.
- Look for quieter buildings or streets, rather than those with many students.
- AVOID neighborhoods south of Roscoe and North of Victory. This area if Reseda isn’t particularly appealing, and while there are a few pockets of quiet, safe streets, you’re better off south of the 101 freeway, or north of campus.
I need a Realtor. Can you help me find the perfect real estate property close to Cal State Northridge?
Yes! I’ve helped numerous clients buying and selling homes near Cal State Northridge, as well as foreign investors and those with children attending CSUN from out of state or out of the country, and I would love to help you too! Call me at (310)926-2386 or contact me through this website!