Van Nuys Real Estate Advice
Looking to buy or sell a home in Van Nuys? People under-estimate Van Nuys… there are some really lovely neighborhoods!
A Little Bit About Van Nuys, CA
The community was named for early settler Isaac Van Nuys, who, with Isaac Lankershim, founded the San Fernando Farm Homestead Association in 1869, four years before the railroad was built.
City Hall was erected in 1933, and today it remains the center of Valley government, with federal, state, county and city offices sharing the premises with a public library, police station and court buildings.
Van Nuys has its own airport, which has hosted the largest air show in Los Angeles with more than 350,000 spectators attending, and a number of other landmarks.
Van Nuys High School, which Marilyn Monroe and Robert Redford attended, was showcased in the films “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” and “Rock and Roll High School,” and the city and its streets have served as locations for countless movies and episodic TV series.
Perhaps one of the most famous film scenes filmed there is the final one in “Casablanca,” which was shot at Van Nuys Airport. Van Nuys is 16 miles from downtown Los Angeles.
Primary and secondary schools
Van Nuys is part of the Los Angeles Unified School District. LAUSD-operated schools within the Van Nuys community area include:
- Adult schools
- Van Nuys Community Adult School (on the same campus as Van Nuys High School)
- Charter school
- 6–12 schools
- Robert Fulton College Preparatory (Van Nuys)
- K–12 school
- Valley Alternative Magnet School (on the same block as Birmingham Community Charter High School)
- High schools
- Van Nuys High School
- Nearby schools:
- Middle schools
- Van Nuys Middle School (Sherman Oaks)
- Millikan Middle School (Sherman Oaks)
- William Mulholland Middle School (Lake Balboa)
- Elementary schools
- Bassett Street Elementary School (Lake Balboa)
- Columbus Avenue Elementary School
- Cohasset Street Elementary School
- Hazeltine Avenue Elementary School
- Sherman Oaks Elementary School (Sherman Oaks)
- Sylvan Park Elementary School
- Van Nuys Elementary School
- Valley Region Elementary School #9
- Valerio Street Elementary School
- Valerio Street Primary Center
- Children’s Community School – an independent, progressive elementary school.
- St. Elisabeth’s School – Preschool through 8th—Home of the Learning Academies and the Junior High Information Technology Preparatory Academy—Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles
- Montclair College Preparatory School
If you want to cut to the chase, give me a call at (310)926-2386 to talk shop.