10 ways to sabotage your Home Sale
If you really don’t want to sell your home, here are 10 things that you can do to sabotage the sale (based on my real world experience working with buyers). This article was originally published here.
- Make it difficult to see your home. If you really want to turn off the buyer, agree to a time and then leave the house (and don’t allow your agent to put in a lockbox)
- Don’t clean off the front walkway and front porch. Leave toys and garden hoses out, and don’t cut back overgrown bushes.
- Keep your Holiday decorations up all year round.
- Don’t remove the dead trees and shrubs on your property.
- Put a key that doesn’t work well in your lock in the lockbox. Using a deadbolt and then not providing a key in the lockbox works well, too.
- Put lots of plug-in air fresheners in your house. A lot of them! (Going #2 in the most centrally-located bathroom, and then leaving the door open afterward is a great backup)
- Don’t get too caught up in vacuuming or keeping the kitchens and bathrooms clean.
- Leave the dogs out and about…especially if they bark at the door when someone rings the bell.
- Agree to a showing time and have people asleep in different bedrooms so that they can’t be seen. You might also leave a bedroom door locked, and say “we only show this room for people who visit a second time”.*
- Keep a lot of trash around the yard; old appliances, recycling and broken bikes work really well for this.
It is a lot of work to sell your home. Many buyers try to overlook some of the things that buyers opt not to do before their home is listed, but at some point, it is very difficult to pay attention to the house when there are so many non-essential things vying for a buyer’s attention.
Do the heavy lifting (literally!) prior to listing your home. Your home will look good, buyers will be impressed and, hopefully, it will go under contract quickly and for a good price. After all, isn’t that your ultimate goal?
If you’re ready to sell your Encino home, let’s talk! Give me a call at (310)926-2386 or contact me through this website to talk about what you can do to sell your home quicker and at a higher price!
*When my wife and I were looking at a home for ourselves, we visited one very nice house with a locked door. The owner made up an excuse for why we couldn’t get in. We didn’t buy the house, and later found out it was being surveiled by the DEA for being a drug distribution center.